The Statewide Independent Living Council, known simply as the SILC, is a federally mandated, Governor appointed council where a majority of our members are individuals with disabilities.
Our SILC is required to:
- Develop, monitor and review a state plan, in conjunction with our State Department of Aging and Independent Living (DAIL), that addresses the independent needs in our state;
- Develop and support a statewide network of Independent Living Centers, called CILs;
- Submit periodic reports to DAIL, as well as coordinates activities with the State Rehabilitation Council; and
- Ensure that all regularly scheduled meetings of the SILC are open to the public and provide reasonable accommodations when requested within a one week notice.
State Plan for Independent Living
Our three year State Plan for Independent Living (SPIL) is designed in partnership with the Kentucky Department of Aging and Independent Living; and has overarching Goals to:
- Increase awareness of Independent Living Services to stakeholders;
- Increase the effectiveness of the SILC;
- Increase access to Independent Living services for Kentuckians with Disabilities; and
- Increase advocacy activities through education of stakeholders in order to increase access and integration.
Kentucky 2017-2019 Approved SPIL Letter